Using the EDGE modules
EDGE was developed using Modules in Canvas. Modules allow instructors to control the pathway by which students move through course material. A module consists of a series of pages ordered in a particular way.
You have two options for how to use EDGE in your courses:
- Post a link that takes students to the course in Expand and have them sign up there and complete work to turn in for assignments for you. While you may only be using a single module or even a single section of an EDGE module in your course, when students enroll in the Expand course to do their work, they have access to all of EDGE and can come back to it whenever they need to know more.
- You can download the module(s) you want to use in your course from Canvas Commons into your own canvas site (for your course or any other Canvas site you have created and populated -- such as one for majors or an advising group). Follow the directions below to download the modules from Commons. If you go this route, keep in mind that every module has links within it to other modules. You would want to remove or inactivate those links so your students don't try to follow them.
Downloading the modules into your own course allows you to make modifications in the text and determine if there is anything you'd like to change to a graded assignment. Students will be able to submit their module work directly to you through your Canvas site.
Once you download the modules, you'll see them as a set of linked pages (see image below).
You are free to make modifications in the modules once you have downloaded them to your own site. If you believe you have developed a useful change or revision for a module, please connect with OCSS to share it. We'd like to build a robust library of artifacts to use in working with students. The IU Career Services Alliance works with OCSS to keep the modules maintained.
We currently have modules available on these topics:
- Learning About Yourself and Your Options
- Aligning Your Academic and Career Goals
- Designing Your College Experience
- Applying to Graduate and Professional School
- Making a Professional Impression
- Finding and Landing Internships
- Searching for Jobs
- Writing Cover Letters and Communications
- Crafting Your Resume
- Negotiating and Accepting Offers